The Better Together Counseling Mission
Better Together’s mission is to provide effective relationship counseling that will serve to secure and enhance your most important connections across time. Let me help you stop the cycle of disconnect, hurt, misunderstandings, anxiety, and anger, and show you how to get back to understanding, closeness, safety, security, and connecting.
About Elisa Horton
Hi! I am Elisa Horton, M.Ed., Ed.S., LMFT, LMHC, NCC , founder of Better Together Counseling located in Palm City, FL. I’m a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT – Florida license MT2182), and Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC – Florida license MH8749), and a Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC – #79676). I am a proud graduate of the University of Florida.
I’ve been studying Emotionally Focused Therapy, EFT (for couples counseling) and Emotionally Focused Family Therapy, EFFT, since 2014. EFT and EFFT were created from the brilliant work of Dr. Sue Johnson who is known as the best couples counselor in the world according to Dr. John Gottman who is one of the top relationship researchers in the world.
I believe in EFT wholeheartedly and have attended a Hold Me Tight couples enhancement workshop with my own husband/partner of over 20 years to get the personal experience of the model.
Advanced Certifications & Training (specific to marriage and family therapy)
- PREP®: The Prevention & Relationship Enhancement Program (certified 2008)
- Gottman Method Couple Therapy Level I with Dr. William Bumberry (2012)
- Gottman Method Couple Therapy Level II with Dr. William Bumberry and Dr. Vagdevi Meunier (2013)
- 2 day Intro to EFT taught by Dr. Sue Johnson (11/2014)
- 4 day EFT Externship taught by Michael Barnett, LPC (5/2015)
- EFT Core Skills Training weekends taken 6/26/2015, 8/2015, 10/2015, 1/2016, and 3/2016 (60 hours) taught by Dr. Lisa Ruderman & Dr. Marleen Best
- 2 day EFT training Facing the Dragon Together – using EFT to Treat Traumatized Couples taught by Dr. Sue Johnson (5/2016)
- Assisted at 4 day EFT Externship as a helper – taught by Michael Barnett, LPC (8/2016)
- 2 day Emotionally Focused Family Therapy (EFFT) taught by Gail Palmer, RMFT, MSW and James Furrow, PhD (2017)
- Assisted at EFT Core Skills as a helper (weekends – 60 hours – 1/2017-8/2017)
- 2 day Working with Shame in EFT – Presented by Dr. Rebecca Jorgensen (2019)
- 2 day master class Going into the Fire with Highly Escalated Couples – Presented by George Faller, MS, LMFT (2018)
- Collaborative Divorce Training (2019)
- 2 day Addressing Addiction and Fostering Attachment with EFT with Dr. Michael Barnett (10/2019)
- 2 day Building Lasting Connections Facilitator Training with Dr. Rebecca Jorgenson and Dr. Debbie Gilmore (2/2020)
- 3 day EFT for Individuals with Lorrie Brubacher, LMFT (EFIT) (4/2020)
- 3 day EFT for Individuals part 2 with Lorrie Brubacher, LMFT (EFIT) (12/2020)
- 2 day The Healing power of AEDP viewed through the Lens of EFT with Dr. Richard Harrison (6/2022)
- Completed supervision requirements in 2017 but continues current supervision towards EFT certification with various master EFT certified supervisors
- Ongoing regular Peer EFT Consultations